All of a sudden, a "little bit of beans" turns into 50 or so lbs! A "few bunch of carrots" and suddenly we've got 50 of them. Oh, and "I think there might be a few Japanese salad turnips" turns into 65+ bunches of big, gorgeous turnips. Multiple bins of perfectly gorgeous (and big!) broccoli heads. And then there's the summer squash....(need I say more?).
A harvest day like yesterday, makes it all seem easy and the weather that didn't cooperate, the crops that failed, the bugs that prevailed, the water that didn't happen...all just a faint bad dream. I guess a day like yesterday is why we farmers do it! Of course, the growing and picking is just two parts of a three part equation - the third (and in many ways most important) part? The selling of course!
And that's where you folks come in...So, hope you are ready to play your part because we are coming to market with a serious BOUNTY of beautiful food. Here goes...
From the fields of Willowood Farm of Ebey's Prairie:
* Yellow Wax Beans! First picking, so beautiful and tender!
* Japanese Salad Turnips - red and white!
* Kohlrabi - They just keep coming!
* Peas - our favorite heirloom edible podded variety, kinda a cross between a snap and a snow pea
* Potatoes - A mix of yellow, white and red this week.
* Garlic, garlic, garlic!
* Carrots - Gorgeous white and orange bunches
* Beets - Red and Golden
* Garlic scapes
* Spinach bags
* Pea Vine bags
* Walla Walla Onions w/ greens
* Torpedo Onions w/ greens
* Red Tonda Onions w/ greens
* Fava Beans
* Summer Squash - mixed types including pattypans!
* Squash Blossoms!
* Peregion Beans
* And....a few big, beautiful and scrumptious heirloom tomatoes (Bayview market only this week).
From our friends at Prairie Bottom farm:
* Lettuce Mix
* Baby Beets
* Braising Mix
* Haricot Vert Beans
* Summer Squash
And we've also got Kamut, Purple Barley and Hard Red Wheat bags from Georgina, the grain lady.
Hope to see you at market!
Willowood Farm of Ebey's Prairie