Saturday, June 12, 2010

Slow down and enjoy!

Slow down and enjoy!  Is it even possible for a farmer in June?
Hmm...I don't know.  I do know that I think the past week might have been one of our craziest ever.  I don't think there was a day I didn't work at least 14 hours.  One day I worked 16!
Why?  Because there is just SO MUCH to do in June!  I finally finished planting the 2.5 acre bean field this week between rain storms (the Rockwells are already up!), we put the plastic on our new 1000 sq feet greenhouse, we picked insane amounts of food, we got a start on getting our squash planted (lots more to do there...) and we got the tomatoes planted!   Oh, and weeded.  Always the weeding...
So the fact that I'm going to be selling tickets at the farmer's market this weekend for a really cool farmer-chef tasting event for a new Whidbey Island "Slow Food" chapter has been kinda cracking me up.  The whole idea of "Slow Food" is to slow down, enjoy fabulous regional food, sit down at your table and break bread together with family and friends!  I love it!  I dream of it!  I hope for it, someday?????
Lately my enjoying my 8 acres of vegetables has involved eating dirty Japanese turnips in the fields, trying not to eat one pea for every one I pick, and eating raw broccoli straight from the plant.
So, I'm going to re-dedicate myself to slowing down, enjoying all the great food I grow! I hope you will join me in that pledge.  Appreciate the fruits not only of the labors of your own (if you have a garden) but your local farmers (yes, like yours truly), but especially the miracle that is our amazing cycle of nature, birth and renewal, the magic of seeds and the glory of converting rain and sun energy into healthy, tasty lovely food!  Because we all gotta eat right?  Might as well eat right!
And on that note, here are the details on this great Slow Food event coming up:
Sunday, June 27th from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Greenbank Farm. Six local chefs will be pairing with local producers to offer a "tasting" made from fabulous, seasonal foods grown right here on Whidbey.  For instance, Willowood Farm will be pairing with Chef Sieb Jurrians of Prima Bistro, to produce some fabulous plating from some yummy veggie picked from the fields that week.  Other restaurants represented include Oystercatcher, Whidbey Pies, Christopers, Deception Pass Cafe and Fraser's Gourmet Hideaway.  Growers include yours truly, Rosehip Farm and Garden, Three Sister's Beef, Penn Cove Mussels and several others.  I'm hungry already!
Each chef and farmer team will set up in a booth together, highlighting the prepared food and showing off fresh from the fields products as well.  And there to talk to you about what the grow, cook and do!
Tickets are $25 and can be bought from participating vendors (like Willowood) at the farmer's market, or at participating restaurants.  The money goes straight to buy the food from the farmers (thank you very much!), and to help support the newly formed Whidbey Island Slow Food Chapter.  Slow Food is an international group, focusing on supporting regional food traditions, sustainable food production and yes, just slowing down and enjoying fabulous food!  http://www.slowfood.com/
And now, as the sun shines out my window (yeah, yeah, yeah!), let's get to the list of food coming to the Bayview and Coupeville markets today....
From Willowood Farm
- Broccoli!  Loads of it! 
- The very popular bags of heirloom, edible podded peas
- Fresh Garlic!
- Garlic scapes
- Kale bunches (2 kinds)
- Red and White Japanese turnips
- Rainbow chard bunches
- Baby pac choi bunches
- Chinese cabbage bunches
- Walla Walla onion bunches
- Mesclun bags
- More ginormous heads of lettuce (this may be the last week for head lettuce for a few weeks when a new planting is on, so get while the getting is good!)
And more...
From our friends at Prairie Bottom Farm
- Lettuce Mix
- Mesclun Mix
- Baby carrot bunches
- Baby beet bunches
- Spinach
And more....
So we hope to see you there!  I'll be holding down the fort at Coupeville this weekend as Wilbur and Julieanna at gone for the National History Day competition (Go Wolves!).  For those of you in Bayview, make sure to say hi to two of my fabulous interns, Dan and Matthew!

Thank you for supporting (and eating!) local food!
Farmer Georgie
Willowood Farm of Ebey's Prairie

1 comment:

  1. did you put a picture of me on there because i always want you to slow down a bit from the georgie curve? well, congratulations on your success and for what sounds like pure unbridled enthusiasm amidst the madness!

    ReplyDelete